CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our latest adventures

This week has been eventful. Too much to write about in this amount of time, but I´ll pinpoint the major things:

We went to an orphanage for a couple days doing construction and painting. But half the time me and Emma were playing with children. I thought language barrier would be a problem, but it´s not so horrible alter all. Children will just run up to you here and wrap their arms around you. I know I´m not supposed to have favorites, but at the orphanage this girl named tiffany is my favorite. If you even look at her she´ll laugh. She loves attention and is SO joyful.

So far Los Guido is my favorite. Los Guido is like a shanty town that has pretty much shacks as homes with bars that guard each ´home.´ Apparently the town is dangerous. We weren´t allowed to walk the streets. There are gangs and lots of robbery, etc. However, the church is in the middle of Los Guido (don´t worry, its gated!), and throughout all 8 years of Pastor Edgar pastoring there, there has never been a problem in the church. Even though the neighborhood itself isn´t too great, they have deep respec for him and his church. What suprised me was the type of people. These people consist of refugees from other countries, and 60% consist of people from Nicaragua.

The first night we went to their church and it was an incredible expereince. I can´t even begin to describe how welcoming and friendly and living these people are! The first service I went to, during worship, a little girl came up to me and grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the aisle to dance with her during worship. That right there made me automatically fall in love with the church J It was really cool to see all these people from all these different countries worshiping together. It reminded me of that verse in psalms somehere about unity in the body of christ, and how precious it is.

The children here are adorable and love to love! I´ve never had this many children run up to me tackling me with hugs! One time there were 4 children standing around me and I didn´t know what tos ay to them because of the language (im working on it! Im learning). So instead i grabbed all their hands and counted to three in spanish (i at least know how to do that much haha) and then ran around in circles, and then World pick them up themesleves and spin them around in circles. Its so funny how easilt entertained children can be. Last night there was a guest speaker who showed a never ending ´jesus´ film. While me and Emma were watching the movie, a bunch of kids flooded to the front of the room, and bc we were sitting in the front they all sat around us. One girl decided to become confortable right next to me and fell asleep against me, while another girl was sitting on top of me. Oh ya, and I have a nickname here. The pastor´s family call me “Super Megan” because of their supermarket in costa rica called “Mega Super.¨” and I´ve never ate so much food in my life! They are so generous and feed us HEAPING plates of “comida,” but i can never eat it all. I thought I was being sneaky by cutting up my food and sliding it to one side of the plate with a napkin over it so it would look like i ate most of it. However, third day into the week the pastor told me that its okay that I don´t eat everything on my plate, haha, there went my sneakiness.

There´s my novel for the week! Thanks again for all of your support and prayer!

--Megan

0 comments: